sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Call Tomorrow - 7/20

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Call Tomorrow - 7/20

  • From: Duane <>
  • To: Jeremy George <>
  • Cc: Candace Holman <>, , Philipp Gühring <>
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Call Tomorrow - 7/20
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:59:51 -0400

Jeremy George wrote:

Thanks, Candace. Good information. A practice with a very low
barrier to implementation that catches 30% of voice spam seems like it
deserves some kind of smiley face. At the same time I don't see that
such an implementation would necessarily need to preclude poking at a
robust protocol. It may be that we won't find a single silver bullet
to prevent voice spam, but rather a series of iron ones.

In talking to a friend of mine he was of the opinion the existing do not call list is the best way to handle voice spam, regardless if it's pstn or IP.

DNC lists offers the ability to fine someone, weather it be those making calls, or the companies being advertised.

Alternatively blacklisting IPs would also be effective in either blocking such calls, and pressuring ISPs to swat offenders similar to efforts placed by blocking ISPs from increasing the cost of business for spammers is the key.

--

Best regards,
Duane