sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Call next Tomorrow - 7/13

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Call next Tomorrow - 7/13

  • From: (Dennis Baron)
  • To: ,
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Call next Tomorrow - 7/13
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:36:14 -0400

Time:

Thursday, July 13th 2:00pm Eastern

"ITSP Access over NewNet"

Speakers:

Walt Magnussen (Texas A&M)
Scott Pohlman (Level 3)
Ed Carey (Level 3)

Abstract:

Internet2 and Level 3 Communications are working to develop and deploy
a new nationwide network [1] and new services to support the needs of
the academic and research community. Beyond the core IP and optical
services, several auxiliary services have been presented to the
community for consideration [2], among them an access service that
would allow connectors to access commercial VoIP services.

Increasingly, voice services such as long-distance (LD), inbound 800
service, directory assistance services, conference call services,
local Centrex services and others are available over IP. The
companies that provide these services are known generically as
"Internet Telephony Service Providers" or "ITSPs". ITSPs usually
deliver services today over dedicated access circuits, extending a
VoIP-specific network or VPN to the customer premises. A NewNet ITSP
Access service, however, would provide access to such commercial ITSP
services through shared NewNet connections.

We will present several alternatives for how an ITSP Access service
might be engineered and discuss technical issues, as well as how the
service offering might be structured. This is an open, informal
discussion. A more formal, member-driven advisory structure is under
development following the NewNet Community Design Workshop [3].

1. http://networks.internet2.edu/
2.
http://events.internet2.edu/2006/designws/sessionDetails.cfm?session=2713&eve
nt=254 (ITSP Access overview starts on slide 22)
3. http://events.internet2.edu/2006/designws/

To Join:

Option 0 (SIP URI):
sip:

Option 1 (PSTN to our conference server):
+1-734-615-7474 or
+1-866-411-0013 or
+1-800-392-6130
Access code: 0153458

Option 2 (PSTN or SIP from our conference server to you):
http://edial.internet2.edu/call/0153458
(follow instructions there)

Option 3 (SIP to our conference server):
sip:

Option 4 (Free World Dialup)
FWD 4233425 ("I2eDial"), then enter access code: 0153458 and #.

Option 5 (ISN - see http://freenum.org)
33425*260 ("edial"*260), then enter access code: 0153458 and #.