sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Call Tomorrow - 7/20

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Call Tomorrow - 7/20

  • From: Christian Schlatter <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Call Tomorrow - 7/20
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:49:45 -0400

Duane wrote:
Jeremy George wrote:

Do not call lists are indeed effective on the PSTN. Being on them
has saved me hours of irritation. However, such a mechanism may not be
as effective for VoIP.

The point my friend was getting across is the DNC lists could very easily be as useful for preventing VoIP spam because you are taking away financial incentive or at the very least increasing the cost of doing business to the point it becomes undesirable.

An interesting approach to prevent machine generated voice spam is to let an IVR challenge unknown callers with some simple question like 'enter a number between 5 and 15'. E.g. sipera has implemented such a solution in their VoIP security platform, they call it "VoIP Turing Test". This method could be combined with secure caller-ID and white-listing so that the same caller has to do the test only once.

Of course the question remains if people would accept such an intrusive anti-spam solution.

Christian