sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16

  • From: David Paul Zimmerman <>
  • To:
  • Cc: John Hess <>
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:17:09 -0800

On Feb 23, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Dennis Baron wrote:

SIP.edu Conference Call February 16, 2006

*Discussion*

Today's call begins with Dave Zimmerman talking about a recent
RFP at Berkeley for a new PBX. The RFP specifically mentions SIP
compatibility. Dave is in the network group, and finds more voice related
technology being directed towards his department. He's interested in
finding some resources that might tell him what sort of equipment other
institutions have used for SIP gateways. Dennis points him towards the
SIP.edu cookbook on MIT's website, which contains deployment overviews
provided by several institutions. It is not completely up to date,
but should provide some information. Dennis also mentions the SIP.edu
email list as a source, as participants would be likely to provide more
current information.

As it turns out, I was a bit too specific about SIP. Our PBX RFP asks for vendors to be creative with providing VoIP capabilities.

See "Voice Communication System RFP":
http://cns.berkeley.edu/dept/rfi.shtml
and especially:
http://cns.berkeley.edu/dept/rfi_rfp/Berk_VoiceCom_Sys_Amend_2.pdf
http://cns.berkeley.edu/dept/rfi_rfp/Berk_Voice_Com_Sect_8_Amend_2.doc

Dennis asks if the person who wrote
Berkeley's RFP be interested in participating in a future call as there
seems to be questions about replacing existing PBXs with a future plans
for doing VOIP. People would like to know what needs to be done in terms
of call waiting and management. Dave will talk to someone on the committee
about participating in a future call.

I found the perfect person from that RFP committee, and it turns out he's also the one implementing our experimental SIP server: John Hess. He and the rest of the committee are spending most waking business hours buried in RFP issues, but the fog should clear in a couple of weeks. John graciously agreed to join our March 16th conference call and talk to what he can.

dp