sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16

  • From: Bill Reid <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:17:52 -0600

Bill Reid wrote:

SIP with XMPP but do we want to support XMPP as well as SIP. XMPP Jingle Signalling just puts SIP/SDP inside of an XMPP stream. It is rather trival for a client or server to support SIP as well as Jingle.

My apologies for an error in my last email. My comments about SIP/SDP inside of the XMPP stream was actually the TINS protocol. TINS has been replaced by Jingle which is a new experimental standard.

In any case the main point that I was making is that SIP and XMPP will be co-existing for a long time.

On another point, Mark Spencer(Digium) is saying that there is a lot of work being done to support XMPP in Asterisk.

-- Bill