sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/2

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/2

  • From: "Art Gaylord" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/2
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:14:19 -0500

The maximum number of callers in an Asterisk MeetMe conference call is going to be limited primarily by the CPU of the server or the number of incoming lines to the extent callers are using the PSTN. There will also be some dependency upon the mixture of voice codecs being used since transcoding is done by the server.

We have done test conference calls with over 25 participants with no obvious degradation of response or voice quality. We've done a number of caller configurations ranging from all SIP based calls to mostly traditional phones (PSTN and/or Nortel PBX) with no major difference. The CPU loading on our server (a dual Xeon processor Dell system) was under 10%. We hit the limit of people to participate in the testing well before the limit of the system.

We've also had multiple MeetMe conference calls going without problems. This was part of normal operations and not a controlled test so I don't know the details of the number of people involved in each call.

Art

Arthur S. Gaylord
Director, Computer and Information Services
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole MA 02543

508-289-3329