sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16

  • From: Bill Reid <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:00:24 -0600

Dennis Baron wrote:

Finally, Candace poses a question. In the Presence and Integrated
Communications (PIC) working group for Internet2, they have been discussing
XMPP. She's had been reluctant to change her mind from SIP to XMPP, but
has read more of the Jabber standards and has changed her opinion. She
was not around during the decision to shift from H.323 to SIP in the VOIP
working group, and wonders if this is the same thing. She's interested
in the historical perspective on the shift from H.323 to SIP, and if
another shift from SIP to XMPP could be expected in the next year or two.

SIP and XMPP is not the same discussion as H.323 and SIP. SIP and XMPP can co-exist very nicely and provide complimentary services while SIP is a replacement for H.323. There is no need to discuss whether we replace SIP with XMPP but do we want to support XMPP as well as SIP. XMPP Jingle Signalling just puts SIP/SDP inside of an XMPP stream. It is rather trival for a client or server to support SIP as well as Jingle.

A good article on this subject by a Jabber guru:
http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/2005-09.html#2005-09-02T14:47

-- Bill

Bill Reid 993 Dorchester Ave.
Network Consultant, Retired Winnipeg, MB R3M 0P9
University of Manitoba (204) 452-6590