shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] yet another java SP implementation....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] yet another java SP implementation....

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] yet another java SP implementation....
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 16:24:20 -0500

On 1/3/11 4:10 PM, Cantor, Scott E. wrote:
This is the second major vendor we've encountered that saw that text,
and for their own reasons decided to go ahead and implement that profile.

"For their own reasons" == to ignore discovery.

some commercial providers seem to consider it unacceptable to provide what we call "Discovery" (ie a page that might be interpreted as a list of customers...). The Info Providers (eg ebsco, Elsevier, etc) have never been bothered by this; however, companies in other spaces seem very uncomfortable doing this.

The other big company we dealt with was in the financial space; we talked them into implementing an endpoint equivalent to Shib's /Login sessionInitiator. After they deployed this with a couple of other customers, they came back to us and said "gee, this is easy, and makes sense...".

Since SAML conformance effectively requires IdP-initiated SSO, that isn't
really a stretch.

Is there any sort of warning that could be associated with the undefined
step 1, alerting implementers that this may not be supported in some
deploys?

Warning where?

A follow on note from you says that the text is found in the original SSO profile.... I guess I'm suggesting a footnote along the lines of "Step 1 is undefined because it is a matter for the IdP deployer; SP implementers should discuss this with their IDP deployer partners before making assumptions."