shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] yet another java SP implementation....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] yet another java SP implementation....

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] yet another java SP implementation....
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 16:06:07 -0500

On 1/3/11 2:19 PM, Cantor, Scott E. wrote:
There is no such thing as a IdP-first web browser profile so no the
IdP doesn't support it. You'll have create a mock authn request
and send it to the IdP.

I guess more precisely, there is a such a profile, but it contains an
undefined step 1 (same one that was undefined in SAML 1.1, how you
trigger it). We have no such support because we're (or at least I'm)
reluctant to commit to defining such a step.

This is the second major vendor we've encountered that saw that text, and for their own reasons decided to go ahead and implement that profile.

If the vendor is dealing with a customer that isn't sufficiently SAML-savvy, you end up with what Mike described:

Yale's work around
describes the problem:
http://isa.its.yale.edu/confluence/display/Shib/Add+IdP+Initiated+Post+SSO+Support+to+Shibboleth

Is there any sort of warning that could be associated with the undefined step 1, alerting implementers that this may not be supported in some deploys?