shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] SuSE "rundown"?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] SuSE "rundown"?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] SuSE "rundown"?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:24:33 -0400

Bernd Oberknapp wrote on 2009-06-29:
> openSUSE versions are support for 2 years. In the past there was/should
> have been a new release every 6 months so that there were three versions
> at a time. In the future there should be releases every 8 months starting
> with openSUSE 11.2 in November.

That seems slightly less obnoxious than Fedora, but only slightly. Every 8
months is probably more than I can handle if things are churning.

> The enterprise versions (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server - SLES) are based on
> openSUSE, usually the .1 versions: SLES 11 is based on openSUSE 11.1 and
> SLES 10 on openSUSE 10.1. SLES versions are supported for 5 years, so
there
> should be three at a time. Novell publishes the sources for SLES but AFAIK
> not the sources for the updates. That's probably the main reason why there
> aren't any SLES clones.

Hmm. So I guess the question is whether the majority of people rely on the
supported releases from Novell, or avoid it because of it's not free. With
Red Hat, you don't really have to decide as a packager, so you can meet both
sets of requirements using CentOS.

I guess that also raises a problem, since there's no chance whatsoever that
I would *buy* anything to do this. So if there isn't an open clone I could
rely on to build a VM with SLES, it may be moot and that would make
supporting OpenSUSE more practical, if that's all I have to deal with...

I'll look at the build service you mentioned.