shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] SuSE "rundown"?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] SuSE "rundown"?

  • From: Bernd Oberknapp <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] SuSE "rundown"?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:12:59 +0200 (CEST)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:13:01 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Scott Cantor wrote:

> In preparation for possibly including one or more SuSE platforms as an
> official package set for the SP, I would appreciate if somebody out there
> (or somebodies) would give me a rundown on what the "landscape" is for this
> variant, so that I can properly judge what I should spend the time on.
>
> e.g. if one was doing this for Red Hat, the most relevant details would be
> that there's only one "source" for the distribution, with some free clones
> (CentOS), three major versions still under support (3,4,5), and a
> non-supported track (Fedora) that's beyond the official releases.
>
> (I've literally never touched SuSE before, so that's why I'm asking.)

openSUSE versions are support for 2 years. In the past there was/should
have been a new release every 6 months so that there were three versions
at a time. In the future there should be releases every 8 months starting
with openSUSE 11.2 in November.

The enterprise versions (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server - SLES) are based on
openSUSE, usually the .1 versions: SLES 11 is based on openSUSE 11.1 and
SLES 10 on openSUSE 10.1. SLES versions are supported for 5 years, so there
should be three at a time. Novell publishes the sources for SLES but AFAIK
not the sources for the updates. That's probably the main reason why there
aren't any SLES clones.

See <http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Linux_Lifetime> for details.

The openSUSE Build Service <https://build.opensuse.org/> could be used for
building RPMs for all supported openSUSE and SLES versions and making them
available in a package repository.

Best regards,
Bernd

Dipl.-Math. Bernd Oberknapp Universitaetsbibliothek Freiburg
Tel: +49-761 / 203-3852 Rempartstrasse 10-16 | Postfach 1629
Fax: +49-761 / 203-3987 79098 Freiburg | 79016 Freiburg