shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9am PDT

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9am PDT

  • From: "Josh Howlett" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "Josh Howlett" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9am PDT
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:42:28 +0100

> > There is an argument that the consent-based approach is neither
> > desirable nor necessary within an educational context.
>
> Not really the right list for this, but to add to Scott's answer ...

Yes, I'll try to keep this brief.

> But
> many situations where federated authentication is of interest
> aren't "legitimate educational use", eg access to Microsoft's
> DreamSpark or more generally

Granted. I'm not disputing that consent isn't sometimes necessary to
support the types of use-cases you suggested. There is a certainly a
place for consent-management tools but I don't believe that the
requirement is as general as people sometimes think, particularly in
educational sectors other than HE, such as schools (~K12), where the
learning environment is subject to much tighter control.

There is a tendency for some folks to default to a legal panic when it
often isn't necessary, and I think this sometimes manifests itself in
the way that Chad noted.

josh.