shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:49:22 +0200

Peter Schober wrote:
* Chad La Joie
<>
[2008-06-09 19:45]:
I am especially reticent to consider this given that, to date, we've received no feedback as to whether people are even using it and, if so, what types of user experience issues their users are having. The only projects I've known who have tried this remain undeployed and garnered user feedback that it was too complicated and confusing.

Just to throw in that at the most recent EuroCAMP in stockholm
http://www.terena.org/activities/eurocamp/may08/slides/20080508-simonsen-CONSENT.pdf
several people (from several NRENs) talked about "consent"
functionality as being the "next big thing" they expect to "need" in
their federations (or inter-federations or confederations, eduGAIN,
etc.). But this hardly has anything to do with user experience (and
everything with lawers) I suppose.

I agree that users should be given the opportunity to consent. That's why I support the current model of the ARPViwer. I personally believe that these additional "features" that people are requesting aren't anything that users want. Really, a lot like many many other things universities are constantly implementing.

Not that I heared anything particularly convincing why we'd have to
collect people's consent for e.g. ePTId or when releasing *fewer*
attributes than before (whose release has already been consented to in
the past), the latter of which being purely implementation specific,
of course.

regards,
-peter

--