shibboleth-dev - Re: SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: SHIB Status call -- 6/9/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:41:03 -0400

> if you get an account at myopenid.com you will see a GUI
> allowing individuals to set release policies for their
> attributes, upon websso. As a site is encountered, the user
> nominates the set of attributes to be released (this time,
> always, never). One can change the policy also, using the
> management console.

Leaving aside that this still lacks any compelling proof of user acceptance,
there's clearly (to me) a big difference between a page for managing
"well-known" profileish attributes like one would see in a vcard, and the
more complex attributes used for authorization, specific to higher ed (or
other sectors), and complex identifiers with different privacy properties.

In other words, I don't think any GUI has to be generic to be useful, nor do
I think a generic one will be useful. We have to get over the "all or
nothing" approach to this to make progress.