shibboleth-dev - RE: shib2: module conflicts?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: shib2: module conflicts?

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: shib2: module conflicts?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

Nothing much, just load mod_shib into Apache and your CGIs will hang.

It started a while back, which is one reason I lost track of it and I may be
confused about when I first saw it. We know it's not happening with 1.3 and
it happens with every version of 2.0 test code I've ever tried. (Ironically
this is after chopping out half of the libraries we used to load there.)

In the initialization code, shib_child_init, you setup the
cleanup functions

apr_pool_cleanup_register(p, NULL,
&shib_exit,
&shib_child_exit);

The second function, the child cleanup, is called when an apache process has just fork'd and is about to do an exec
of the cgi. At this point not much should be done in the
child cleanup function - likely nothing at all, since
open file descriptors will be closed anyway. Especially
the config->term() cannot be called.

Replacing the cleanup register statement with

apr_pool_cleanup_register(p, NULL,
&shib_exit,
apr_pool_cleanup_null);

appears to fix the problem.

Jim

p.s. I still think cgid is the way to go.