shibboleth-dev - RE: IdP discovery protocol news

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: IdP discovery protocol news

  • From: "Alistair Young" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: IdP discovery protocol news
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:45:15 -0000 (GMT)

> "duplicated" across all its installations
yes but that's what SOA is about. Removing common functionality and making
it a service. All SPs need to discover. They could all do it in different
ways with different UIs and no conitinuity for the user across resources
in a federation. Or it could be abstracted out and made a service. So you
specify your IdP in the same way across all resources.
Maybe that's federation utopia though.

> It can't even agree to put smarter software on servers.
ah but what do you mean by "server"? Do you mean SP? No, they won't.
They're all running down SOA street. Until the next signpost that is...

> I have little
> doubt that federations will deploy such gateways
yes, the Athens service in the UK does just that.

> They just stay in place
> forever
yes, that's their business model. If a small subset of their profits come
from SAML-enabled federation users then a gateway will be more cost
effective for them.
If a chief exec in the UK wants to tap into a Russian market, they don't
Russian-enable themselves, they hire a translator. A gateway to that
market.

> They violate privacy
now that's interesting. How do you see a piece of non-sentient software
violating privacy? Schrodinger's Cat? The data is inviolate until
processed? So whatever entity processes it should be the one it's intended
for?

> How many
> people have multiple IdPs that all give them access to overlapping
> services?
> Not very many
no, I'll grant you that. It was an extreme example. Semantic web demands
extreme flexions of the imagination though!

> we have enough trouble arguing that people have one
> IdP
:) I myself have two though!

> Ok, but meanwhile, by the time you get that built, Cardspace is out and
> people are no longer using browsers to do discovery...
by people you mean Windows users? Yes but what about the rest of us
Maccies, Linuxers, Solarisites, other assorted weirdos?

> just put a nice little box on the page to enter the IdP and go on to more
> interesting topics.
LOL! I wish I could. You haven't seem my users!

Alistair

--
mov eax,1
mov ebx,0