shibboleth-dev - RE: IdP discovery protocol news

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: IdP discovery protocol news

  • From: "Josh Howlett" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "Josh Howlett" <>
  • Subject: RE: IdP discovery protocol news
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:08:57 -0000

> > I get the impression from various folks that this is how MS
> intend to
> > 'solve' Discovery. It doesn't seem particularly joined up with
> > WS-Federation 1.1 so I get the feeling that this fell out
> of Cardspace
> > ex post facto...
>
> Cardspace has little connection with WS-Federation. They're different
> approaches. Cardspace isn't browser-based, so it doesn't have
> a discovery
> problem per se. It also isn't a SSO approach. Every SP
> requires that you
> select a card to use. It doesn't just automatically use the same one.

That was my point; which is why I find the suggestion that Cardspace
could be used for Web SSO discovery all the more surprising. To me it
looks a somewhat specious (if that's not too unfair) way of promoting
Cardspace.

> > Although in principle a Discovery Service could make use of
> > Cardspace, it strikes me that it would end up being Just Another
> > Heuristic rather than The Answer.
>
> I hadn't really considered it, but no, it wouldn't be a heuristic. The
> client in Cardspace chooses the IdP. There is no guessing.

The Discovery Service would not be required to observe what's asserted
in the submitted token.

Best regards, josh.