shibboleth-dev - RE: IdP discovery protocol news

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: IdP discovery protocol news

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: IdP discovery protocol news
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:08:00 -0500

> yes but that's what SOA is about. Removing common functionality and making
> it a service.

That's what SAML does now, you just don't accept that HTTP-bound messages
consitute a service request. You see your web service call as somehow
different than simply supporting SAML natively, and I don't. It's just code.

> All SPs need to discover. They could all do it in different
> ways with different UIs and no conitinuity for the user across resources
> in a federation.

Which federation should dictate how Science Direct looks?

> Or it could be abstracted out and made a service. So you
> specify your IdP in the same way across all resources.
> Maybe that's federation utopia though.

I think it's simply unnecessary given the way things are moving.

> ah but what do you mean by "server"? Do you mean SP? No, they won't.

Hmm, I've got 75+ SPs here. Am I imagining them?

> now that's interesting. How do you see a piece of non-sentient software
> violating privacy? Schrodinger's Cat? The data is inviolate until
> processed? So whatever entity processes it should be the one it's intended
> for?

I have no clue what you're talking about. Gateways like this translate data.
That means the people running them have access to data they don't need to
see. Kim Cameron calls it the law of unncessary parties, I believe.

> by people you mean Windows users? Yes but what about the rest of us
> Maccies, Linuxers, Solarisites, other assorted weirdos?

Firefox?

> > just put a nice little box on the page to enter the IdP and go on to
more
> > interesting topics.
>
> LOL! I wish I could. You haven't seem my users!

Did you ask them? Did you try it? Or did you just assume you knew what they
could handle?