shibboleth-dev - RE: IdP discovery protocol news

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: IdP discovery protocol news

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: IdP discovery protocol news
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 12:43:39 -0500

> When I referred to "web service" (and all that that can mean) I was
> contrasting with Scott's view that the SP should do all the discovery leg
> work, which isn't SOA compatible. I think that's what he was saying.

I did *not* mean that the SP should do all of it. I meant that the SP
shouldn't send the browser somewhere else (logically speaking) to do it.

If you think it's viable to build a web service to do it for the SP, by all
means have at it.

Note that the Shibboleth SessionInitiator is pluggable, as all the handlers
are. One could implement one that did such a thing.