shibboleth-dev - Configuring logging in java components

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Configuring logging in java components

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Configuring logging in java components
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:24:01 -0500

The configuration of logging within the IdP has been a bit of a sore spot for some individuals. There are currently two ways to configure logging:

1. Using the ErrorLog/TransactionLog elements which configures log4j in a programmatic manner. This does not allow for logging information from third-party code (extensions) or changing things like the conversion pattern (the string that tells Log4J how to form it's logging messages).

2. Using a Log4J configuration file which some people find to be confusing and difficult to configure.

Both of these methods also interact poorly with many application containers that have other methods of managing the logging configuration. While the current IdP does not deploy easily, if at all, in other containers we're trying to make 2.0 handle this better.

Currently I am trying to decide how best to approach configuring logging in 2.0. I am currently leaning towards dropping IdP config file based configuration in favor of deployers working with their container, in whatever manner is appropriate for that container.

I think this offers some functionality that we can't offer, most importantly is that almost all containers allow for runtime updates to logging configurations (which can be a godsend for debugging problems). Additionally, many commercial containers also provide UIs for configuring logging. However, the downside is that most free containers still require individuals to edit log4j configuration files which, as mentioned above, are confusing to some. Also some (particularly Tomcat) containers seem to change where you put this configuration on a frequent basis.

So, what does the community think on this subject?
--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124