shibboleth-dev - RE: Configuring logging in java components

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Configuring logging in java components

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Configuring logging in java components
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:17:47 -0500

> > 2. Using a Log4J configuration file which some people find to be
> > confusing and difficult to configure.
>
> Log4j config files are most confusing, I agree.

I never have, but the test isn't whether something is hard to configure for
exceptional cases, but whether it's simply to make trivial changes. I think
it's trivial to change the log level and the main log file and that's 90% of
the need.

> How would this address the logging needs of command-line tools? It
> would be good if API calls to the Shib code base were logged, I think.
> In fact, the project we're working on right now doesn't require a
> container at all.

Why wouldn't it just use standard log4j config file lookup? All the
container does is override the normal course of things, I think.