shibboleth-dev - Re: Configuring logging in java components

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Configuring logging in java components

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Configuring logging in java components
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:14:03 -0500

Tom Scavo wrote:
2. Using a Log4J configuration file which some people find to be
confusing and difficult to configure.

Log4j config files are most confusing, I agree.

Which file format is confusing? I personally find the properties file format completely unintelligible but I find the XML format very readable. I also make the assertion that one problem with either is that we don't have any good documentation about which categories you should log if you want certain information (something we'll fix in 2.0).

Currently I am trying to decide how best to approach configuring logging
in 2.0. I am currently leaning towards dropping IdP config file based
configuration in favor of deployers working with their container, in
whatever manner is appropriate for that container.

How would this address the logging needs of command-line tools? It
would be good if API calls to the Shib code base were logged, I think.
In fact, the project we're working on right now doesn't require a
container at all.

This isn't taking into account command line tools which act completely differently then container based tools. In command line tools your environment is significantly simpler and code to load and manage log4j configurations can be easily written including support for things like runtime logging config changes. Right now I'm just focused on the container aspect because it's littered with issues.
--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124