shibboleth-dev - Re: SAML name identifiers

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: SAML name identifiers

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: SAML name identifiers
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:40:17 +0000

Scott Cantor wrote:

I think the context is lost here...

Quite possibly I am going off at a tangent because of some related stuff I'm thinking about just now.

I said I didn't see why I would use the
attribute version in SAML 2.0 when I can just carry the data in the subject
and save the space.

With your comment about unifying the APIs for subject format and attributes, and seeing the partial unification you've already done in the SP, I think I'm closer to understanding what you have in mind.

In those terms, what I was getting at was that the current attribute release API is in terms of *filtering* (include/exclude on each attribute independently) whereas the subject format issue is a question of *choosing*: you can't not have a subject format at all, or pick two. If the user says don't release the persistent opaque identifier, it is *replaced* by the transient one.

The whole goal is for ARPs and the mappings to merge in some way.

For what it's worth, that does sound like the right approach to me, I just can't think what the details will look like yet.

I suppose the trick is to be able to achieve things like:

IF the user wants to release "a persistent opaque identifier" THEN
IF the SP's metadata says it understands that format THEN
use that as a subject format and omit ePTI
ELSE
use the shibboleth handle format for the subject and ship
an OID-style ePTI to hold that information.

I suppose it is possible to do most of that explicitly in the ARP, but I can't see how you would model it all purely by the current attribute filtering model.

-- Ian