shibboleth-dev - Re: SAML name identifiers

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: SAML name identifiers

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: SAML name identifiers
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:15:58 +0000

Alistair Young wrote:

HTTP_SHIB

is this the "standard" for interop? Is there a reason why an attribute is
prefixed with HTTP_SHIB?

Presumably an application has to "bind" itself to a particular
implementation of the Shibboleth profile. Either that or a standard is
adopted in attribute naming in the headers.

Is HTTP_SHIB the de facto standard that all other implementations should
conform to?

Its nothing to do with interop or the Shibboleth profile. The names of headers are a private matter between the person configuring the SP and the application the headers are delivered to. I could have called it Foo-Bar if I wanted and no-one would have been the wiser.

-- Ian