shibboleth-dev - Re: extension unit testing

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: extension unit testing

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: extension unit testing
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:52:28 -0400

On 8/26/05, Chad La Joie

> I'd like to see you create a script that I can run at any point to test
> the things you outlined. That way I can make a change however long
> after I've done the install and re-run the test to make sure my less
> than nimble fingers didn't typo something.

Sure. Development tasks like this are handled in a custom build.xml
script not distributed with the base GridShib distribution (like we
talked about before). This ant script runs tasks in
extension-build.xml.

> So what you could do is create such a script and place it in the
> gridshib/bin directory of your source tree. Then just have that script
> invoke the post-deployment test classes.

Like the command-line tools currently distributed in bin? Okay, but I
was thinking an ant script would be better since I need to invoke
tasks in extension-build.xml.

> I think this ultimately gives
> you more flexibility (though I think it still requires me to do some
> work which I really would have liked to get out of ;)).

Well, it means that tasks in extension-build.xml have to be refactored
so that they are independent of one another. (Remember that long bug
report I submitted awhile back with some dependency bugs listed?)

> Does this make sense?

Yes, of course. This is what I've been striving for all along.

Thanks for your help,
Tom