shibboleth-dev - Re: More defined custom extensions mechanism

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: More defined custom extensions mechanism

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To: Tom Scavo <>
  • Cc: Chad La Joie <>, Shibboleth Developers <>
  • Subject: Re: More defined custom extensions mechanism
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:16:53 +0100

Tom Scavo wrote:

You're idea is intriguing, Ian. GridShib hopes to integrate SimpleCA
and MyProxy into the Shib IdP down the road. Your suggestions might
make that an easier process for us.

I don't know how much it will address your needs, but this afternoon I lashed up some code that implements a generic plugin system. What it lets you do is add things like this to the end of your idp.xml:

<!-- example generic plugins -->
<Plugin name="my.plugin" implementation="edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.idp.TestPlugin">
<SomeConfiguration>text</SomeConfiguration>
</Plugin>
<Plugin name="boring.plugin" implementation="java.util.Date"/>

The implementation class has to have a null constructor; if the instance implements common.PluggableConfigurationComponent (a pre-existing interface in the Java code), it is also passed the Element to let it configure itself from that. These plugins are stored in a collection you can reach from the IdPProtocolSupport, so bits of custom code elsewhere can grab plugins by name by saying support.getPlugin("my.plugin").

Once I've had a chance to test it a bit, I'll let people see the diffs (which are pretty small). Having something concrete to throw rocks at is always better ;-)

-- Ian