shibboleth-dev - RE: More defined custom extensions mechanism

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: More defined custom extensions mechanism

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Chad La Joie'" <>, "'Shibboleth Developers'" <>
  • Subject: RE: More defined custom extensions mechanism
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:54:07 -0400

> I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean Ian. All the points that are
> pluggable, I believe, are reflected in the idp.xml file already. If we
> did something as generic as you're talking about I'm not sure how the
> IdP would know what the plugin was even for.

Well, using the analogy of the C++ code, this was necessary for me there
because C++ doesn't have reflection and introspection. So to allow things to
be pluggable, I have to export factory registration methods, and I support
SAML extension loading as a way of dynamically loading that kind of code.
Then those libraries call into my methods to register themselves and that's
how plugins register.

With Java, that's normally needed since you can just reference the
class-name in the config file.

Like Chad, I'm not sure what a generic <Library> tag such as the SP config
file supports would buy us, but I guess if you wanted to register custom
SAML extensions, that would be one way to get them loaded. I'm not sure how
else you'd do it in Java, but that's not my specialty.