shibboleth-dev - Re: error building shib HEAD from source

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: error building shib HEAD from source

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Chad La Joie <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: error building shib HEAD from source
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 11:42:59 -0400

On 5/8/05, Chad La Joie

> The bc-asn1.jar is just the ASN.1 decoder from the BouncyCastle JCE.
> You're right, though, the commons-codec does everything we needed, but
> so does the BC jar. So, instead of having both around I told Walter we
> could drop the commons-codec if he wanted (just for house keeping).

For what it's worth, I like commons-codec, which aligns with other
Apache Commons packages we're using. That said, I don't mind using
the BouncyCastle stuff if that's what everyone else wants to use.

I think everyone agrees we should avoid the Sun-specific classes but
we should also avoid multiple, overlapping third-party packages. I
introduced the commons-codec package when I donated the artifact API
to OpenSAML (avoiding the Sun base64 classes), but I'd be happy to
rework that using BouncyCastle if there's consensus in that direction.

Cheers,
Tom