shibboleth-dev - Re: error building shib HEAD from source

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: error building shib HEAD from source

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: error building shib HEAD from source
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 10:34:06 -0400

Tom Scavo wrote:
On 5/8/05, Chad La Joie

Yes, the commons codec has been removed. In the work I and Walter were
doing to get rid of the Sun JDK dependencies (which should be gone now)
we moved away from the Apache codec encoders (in the IdP) to the ones
included bc-asn1.jar. Nothing is wrong with the Apache one, it just
didn't seem to make sense to have multiple encoders/decoders if we
didn't need them.

Well, I'm not familiar with the package you've moved to, so I can't
compare, but commons-codec does everything you want, I think. Is
there some advantage I'm missing?

The bc-asn1.jar is just the ASN.1 decoder from the BouncyCastle JCE. You're right, though, the commons-codec does everything we needed, but so does the BC jar. So, instead of having both around I told Walter we could drop the commons-codec if he wanted (just for house keeping).

What I didn't notice was that my IDE was adding the commons-codec into the class path anyways when I launched my app server because the OpenSAML project I had in my workspace needed it.

Like I said, this was just my oversight.
--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124