shibboleth-dev - Re: error building shib HEAD from source

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: error building shib HEAD from source

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To: Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: error building shib HEAD from source
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 10:15:16 -0400

Yep, that one line was the big change. I also added some additional comments and logging.

Yes, the commons codec has been removed. In the work I and Walter were doing to get rid of the Sun JDK dependencies (which should be gone now) we moved away from the Apache codec encoders (in the IdP) to the ones included bc-asn1.jar. Nothing is wrong with the Apache one, it just didn't seem to make sense to have multiple encoders/decoders if we didn't need them. I forgot to check OpenSAML though, so this is my snafu. If you just copy the commons-codec-1.3.jar from the lib directory to the webApplication/WEB-INF/lib directory you should be okay.

Walter, obviously we'll need to add that library back in. Sorry for the mistake.

Tom Scavo wrote:
Thanks for the patch, Chad. Evidently the critical bug is on line 53:

return "/conf/idp.xml";

Of course this should be

return "/conf/IdP.xml";

With this change, I'm able to deploy shibboleth.war to tomcat, but now
I get a runtime error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/codec/binary/Hex

org.opensaml.provider.SecureRandomIDProvider.getIdentifier(SecureRandomIDProvider.java:77)

edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.provider.SharedMemoryShibHandle.getNameIdentifier(SharedMemoryShibHandle.java:81)

edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.NameMapper.getNameIdentifierName(NameMapper.java:294)

edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.idp.provider.ShibbolethV1SSOHandler.processRequest(ShibbolethV1SSOHandler.java:164)

edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.idp.IdPResponder.doGet(IdPResponder.java:266)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)

Has Apache Commons Codec been removed from the distribution?

Actually, I think there's a problem with CVS. When I browse

http://anoncvs.internet2.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/shibboleth/java/webApplication/WEB-INF/lib/?cvsroot=Shibboleth

I get the following error in my browser:

Python Exception Occurred

Traceback (innermost last):
File "/usr/local/pkg/viewcvs-0.9.2/lib/viewcvs.py", line 2625, in run_cgi
main()
File "/usr/local/pkg/viewcvs-0.9.2/lib/viewcvs.py", line 2578, in main
view_directory(request)
File "/usr/local/pkg/viewcvs-0.9.2/lib/viewcvs.py", line 1144, in
view_directory
fileinfo, alltags = get_logs(full_name, rcs_files, view_tag)
File "/usr/local/pkg/viewcvs-0.9.2/lib/viewcvs.py", line 1091, in get_logs
raise 'error during rlog: '+hex(status)
error during rlog: 0x100

This would explain why commons-codec-1.3.jar is missing from the
distribution I pulled down yesterday.

Thanks,
Tom

On 5/7/05, Chad La Joie

Hey Tom,
Here's a patch for that. I just sent it to Walter a bit ago.

Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124