shibboleth-dev - Re: shib origin ok, log files rolling over ok.....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: shib origin ok, log files rolling over ok.....

  • From: "Michael A. Grady" <>
  • To: ,
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: shib origin ok, log files rolling over ok.....
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:56:24 -0500 (CDT)

Log retention policies based on total size of logs alone seems an odd
policy to me. We think of those policies based on the number of days we
think we want for problem solving, balanced by wanting to get rid of many of
them as soon as feasible from a privacy/FOIA/subpoena perspective. We are
taking a new look at what the "sweet spot" of that balance should be,
but generally it comes down to a couple of weeks. (Size may impact -- more
in the past than current with the ease and cheapness of adding space --
causing
one to retain for a shorter period or somehow condense the logs. That was an
issue a few years ago with our core UIUC public web page access logs.)

So I'd argue a good default would represent 14 to 21 days worth of activity.

--
Michael A. Grady 217.244.1253
Senior Technology Architect and Strategist 217.265.5635 fax