shibboleth-dev - Re: shib origin ok, log files rolling over ok.....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: shib origin ok, log files rolling over ok.....

  • From: Derek Atkins <>
  • To: Walter Hoehn <>
  • Cc: , Noah Levitt <>,
  • Subject: Re: shib origin ok, log files rolling over ok.....
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:55:51 -0400

Walter Hoehn
<>
writes:

> We can make this whatever we want. The point is to do something that
> is reasonable for most production deployments. Right now we keep
> 100MB of logs. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is, but I'd
> definitely want more than 20 MB. Anyone who has an opinion on this
> should speak up before we release...

At what logging level? I think 20MB of logs is probably still way too
much for a single application, or we're just logging way too much.
I'm not sure which.

Just for comparrison, on a server I maintain that handles lots of mail
and web traffic the TOTAL size of /var/log is only 84MB. This includes
mail, apache, virus checking, spam checking, etc. Perhaps instead of
limiting logs based on size we can limit them based on time? For
example, limit logs to, say, N weeks? Also, I think we really really
need to reduce the verbosity of the default logss. There should be
enough information to help debug standard configuration problems without
logging at the DEBUG level.

> -Walter

-derek

Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

PGP key available