shibboleth-dev - Packaging woes

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Packaging woes

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Packaging woes
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:51:25 -0400

So, this is gonna be really complicated, IMHO. I personally think
building from source is ultimately easier than trying to combine all
this stuff together in ways they weren't intended, but maybe that's just
me. I don't have a real Unix box to maintain or any standards to meet, I
guess.

I think if we want to have binaries, we'll have to make a list of what
we want to include, what the dependencies of those included things are,
and then just make a best effort.

Even that's not going to prevent trouble. For example, there are
apparently about 50 different versions of OpenSSL floating around, some
of which have different major library versions. For eg. there are RPMs
for RedHat that require libcrypto.so.1 and others that require
libcrypto.so.2. Somebody, somewhere, will have a missing piece and the
whole thing falls apart back to square one.

Finally, I really don't think I have the time to do this for very long,
if at all. I spent massive amounts of time on autoconf for a reason. I
would suggest that we look for somebody willing to take this on for a
period of time, if binaries are this important to people.

I'll begin compiling documentation on what to build, how to build it,
and what the required versions are. Can we solicit some volunteers
willing to host and manage binaries?