shibboleth-dev - Re: Packaging woes

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Packaging woes

  • From: Derek Atkins <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Packaging woes
  • Date: 23 Oct 2002 11:12:31 -0400

Well, my tests show that building our own version of xml2, xslt, and
xmlsec work fine, and my shar is finding my built versions rather than
the system versions. The only catch is that I needed to rm the
libxmlsec.la file from the install directory, otherwise libtool gets
confused and pulls in the wrong version of some libraries.

So, I could (relatively) easily build RH7.3 versions using the Red Hat
(7.2-updates) gcc3 packages, and it should work... I use the base
RH7.3 packages for most everything else.

However, I agree than in the long run we should not do this, but in
light of the xmlsec libtool issue, I think we might want to do this in
the short run.

Hopefully a RH8 update will upgrade the xml2 and xslt libraries
sufficiently so that xmlsec will _just work_ with the native RPMS.

-derek

Scott Cantor
<>
writes:

> So, this is gonna be really complicated, IMHO. I personally think
> building from source is ultimately easier than trying to combine all
> this stuff together in ways they weren't intended, but maybe that's just
> me. I don't have a real Unix box to maintain or any standards to meet, I
> guess.
>
> I think if we want to have binaries, we'll have to make a list of what
> we want to include, what the dependencies of those included things are,
> and then just make a best effort.
>
> Even that's not going to prevent trouble. For example, there are
> apparently about 50 different versions of OpenSSL floating around, some
> of which have different major library versions. For eg. there are RPMs
> for RedHat that require libcrypto.so.1 and others that require
> libcrypto.so.2. Somebody, somewhere, will have a missing piece and the
> whole thing falls apart back to square one.
>
> Finally, I really don't think I have the time to do this for very long,
> if at all. I spent massive amounts of time on autoconf for a reason. I
> would suggest that we look for somebody willing to take this on for a
> period of time, if binaries are this important to people.
>
> I'll begin compiling documentation on what to build, how to build it,
> and what the required versions are. Can we solicit some volunteers
> willing to host and manage binaries?
>
> -- Scott

Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

PGP key available