shibboleth-dev - RE: Packaging woes

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Packaging woes

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Derek Atkins' <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: Packaging woes
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:29:05 -0400

> Well, my tests show that building our own version of xml2,
> xslt, and xmlsec work fine, and my shar is finding my built
> versions rather than the system versions. The only catch is
> that I needed to rm the libxmlsec.la file from the install
> directory, otherwise libtool gets confused and pulls in the
> wrong version of some libraries.

Have you tried this again with a clean tree? I did change the scripts to
avoid doubly including those libraries, and was hoping that might fix
that problem.

In any case, my point is that it works ok *if* you build these from
source, but if we try and package up something, things get complicated
because I use the xmlsec-config script to extract build settings, and
that uses the config scripts of the other two packages. To post binaries
of those two, I think we have to pick a location that isn't "standard"
and make a tar file available from that built version. We can't have
people "relocating" the files when they untar them, or the build
settings will be off.

> So, I could (relatively) easily build RH7.3 versions using the Red Hat
> (7.2-updates) gcc3 packages, and it should work... I use the
> base RH7.3 packages for most everything else.

In truth, the compiler is really the biggest issue. I think it would be
a good idea if we could archive/make available the gcc3 packages for
3.04 for whatever versions of Linux we have them. They install
side-by-side to the older gcc, whereas the newer RPMs overwrite the old
one.

People could build from source without as much trouble if updating to a
working compiler was easier.