perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] a shellshocked experience

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] a shellshocked experience

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: Stefan Piperov <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] a shellshocked experience
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 11:49:47 -0400

Hi Stephan;

Aside from the fact that you have baited your mail with plurium
interrogationum, I can answer as such:

- Any and all devices that feature bash in their list of ingredients are in
the same boat with regards to the base risk - servers, appliances, embedded
controllers. The solution for everyone is to patch with what is available
from the powers that be, and wait for further instructions if that is
insufficient to mitigate what was discovered. As you know, we don't have
control over that part.

- The part we do have control over is the additional packages we add to make
CentOS 6 into a perfSONAR toolkit. As with all forms of vulnerability, there
are attack vectors build around the original risk. As communicated in a mail
yesterday - Redhat released several good FAQs in one of their writeups (read
the 'common configuration examples' section):
https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223. Attack vectors have actors;
people on the outside looking in, or the inside looking out. For some of the
items described in the writeup above, a trusted user would need to be the one
to use the exploit in many circumstances. E.g. someone with an account that
exploits via SSH, or sudo. Others are public facing, namely the HTTPD vector
through CGI scripts that invoked bash functionality. The fine people at F5
have a great diagram, you can find it here:

https://f5.com/solutions/mitigation/mitigating-the-bash-shellshock-cve-2014-6271-and-cve-2014-7169-vulnerabilities

The bottom line is that invoking any bash functionality from something that
faces outward leaves an unpatched system at risk to the disclosed CVEs. It
could be use of a variable, it could be a call to a function, it could be a
single line of code that featured a metacharacter interpreted by the parser.

- Other applications have faced similar risks against this attack vector. I
didn't do an exhaustive search, but any web-based application that needed to
use bash for some reason was hit with the same frying pan that we were. Even
some of our software that didn't specifically call bash may have been hurt -
in our case we never explicitly used bash, but a call to /bin/sh can turn
into a call to bash on certain systems. Something we relayed over the prior
days were changes that were made to the portions of the toolkit that were
found to specifically or inadvertently expose bash in this manner. We will
take the demerit for being sloppy, the cardinal rule of increasing exposure
to a systems internals to outside fiddling was broken in these regards. We
weren't the first, and we won't be the last.

- We have done our due diligence, as have others. No one wants to spend the
day apologizing, but experience has shown that salt cannot mine itself. 2
weeks ago, many people would not have thought twice about this (the smart
security people would have, in their dashing capes). Many may have also not
wanted to believe botnets scanning every corner of the internet running a
simple HTTP get that featured some malicious intent. As per the HTTP logs
from some of you, we have seen this occurred Friday - only shortly after the
patch to prevent it became 'live'.

I will close this out with the statement that all software development comes
with risk when it is integrated from an outsiders perspective. Many people
trusted that openssl was impenetrable, and heartbleed changed that.
Shellshock pointed out a similar fault and we are all cleaning up the pieces.
Next week could bring something else catastrophic in some other major
software package. In all cases we can play wednesday morning quarterback and
find faults in applications like perfSONAR, call them insecure, threaten to
walk away, bemoan extra work needed to keep them operational. I don't have
answers for those that are in strong disagreement, and those in strong
disagreement will stand on the side after walking away still shouting
incendiary statements no matter what. We would expect nothing less.

The point of this, the prior, and other [TL;DR] previous mails is to
acknowledge that we don't have all the answers. We want to make a useful
product, and will try our hardest to succeed in doing so, minimizing the risk
where we can - these are our foremost two concerns. We attempt to minimize
the maintenance variable, but this will be a 'pick 2' solution, it is nearly
impossible to guarantee all three.

Have the discussion with your local people if you feel the cost benefit on
perfSONAR has disappeared, and as always let us know how we can be helpful.

Thanks;

-jason

On Oct 2, 2014, at 9:49 AM, Stefan Piperov

>>> Stefan.