perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Having a simple problem with SQL MA setup

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Having a simple problem with SQL MA setup

  • From: Szymon Trocha <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Paul Gray <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Having a simple problem with SQL MA setup
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:45:11 +0200

Dear Paul,

Thank you for trying to deploy the perfSONAR MDM node. See my comments below.

W dniu 2011-08-10 19:26, Paul Gray pisze:
I'm attempting to set up a Debian-based perfsonar node from the
perfsonar 3.3 Debian distribution image. On this node, I'd like to install
LS, # Intended to be the main lookup service for subsequent nodes
SQL MA,
RRD MA,
BWCTL MP,
and
E2EMon MP.

I'm following the admin guide here:

https://forge.geant.net/forge/display/perfsonar/perfSONAR+MDM+Administrator%27s+Guide

I get stuck at the configuration of SQL MA. But before dumping the error
message that I'm getting, I have two simple questions to make sure that
I'm not starting off with wrong assumptions:

First question relates to documentation: In the SQL MA documentation
under the "Installing on Linux" section, "To install using Debian
packages:" paragraph, the instructions deviate from the RPM instructions
just above it by directing the establishment of the "rrdmaservice" user.
Is it correct to assume this is a cut-and-paste error in the
documentation, and that even Debian users should be setting up the
"sqlmaservice" user too? (and an sqlmaconfig eXist collection?)

Yes, this is typo. Thank you for spotting it. It should say "sqlmaservice" user however it finally doesn't matter in the configuration process as long as the same username and password are configured within the eXist database and the SQL MA service. I have already corrected the documentation to reflect the non-confusing default name.

My second question relates to the fields in the SQL MA setup page (which
is where I'm getting stuck with eXist permission errors): What is the
appropriate URI for the exist database? Some references in the
administrator guide use the format "http://${HOST}:${PORT}/exist/";, but
the default reference in the option field under the SQL MA
administration setup page is of the format
"xmldb:exist:${HOST}:${PORT}/exist/xmlrpc". (This is on the first
textbox of the SQL MA configuration page.)

The correct URI for the eXist database is:
xmldb:exist://localhost:8180/exist/xmlrpc/db/sqlmaconfig
It has following taxonomy: http://$SERVERNAME:$PORT/exist/rest/db/$COLLECTION_NAME
I updated relevant documentation page

Many thanks for you comments.

Best regards,
--
Szymon Trocha

Poznan Supercomputing & Netw. Center ::: NETWORK OPERATION CENTER
Tel. +48 618582022 ::: http://noc.man.poznan.pl