perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Problems with Authentication within perfsonar

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Problems with Authentication within perfsonar

  • From: Nina Jeliazkova <>
  • To: "Niederberger, Ralph" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Problems with Authentication within perfsonar
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:21:17 +0300

Dear Ralph,

Niederberger, Ralph wrote:
> Dear Nina, Candido and all,
>
> I did a further step by step analysis.
>
> My perfsonarUI connects to redIRIS and though getting this
> "HLPattern type not defined" error seems to work, since the client works
> different when specifying legal or wrong (illegal) UID PWD combination.
>
> When providing correct information, my the perfsonarUI client connects to my
> sqlma server. The server the connects to the authentication service (AS).
>
> With wireshark I can see that the SQLMA connect to the AS specifying a
> security token with the "HTTP/XML POST /perfSONAR-AS/services/AuthService
> HTTP/1.0" message.
>
> The response from the AS is "HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found (text/html)".
>
> The full response is:
>
> ====================================
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:26:27 GMT
> Connection: close

> <!--H1 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;
> background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;}
> H2 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;
> background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;}
> H3 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;
> background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;}
> BODY {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;
> background-color:white;}
> B {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;
> background-color:#525D76;}
> P {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;
> background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}
> A {color : black;}A.name {color : black;}
> HR {color : #525D76;}--></style>
> </head>
> <h1>HTTP Status 404 - /perfSONAR-AS/services/AuthService</h1>
> <HR size="1" noshade="noshade">
> <u>/perfSONAR-AS/services/AuthService</u>
> <u>The requested resource (/perfSONAR-AS/services/AuthService)
> is not available.</u>
> <HR size="1" noshade="noshade">
> <h3>Apache Tomcat/6.0.18</h3>
> =======================================
>
> This message implies that the Authentication service is not available,
> though I did "Testing Your Deployment" as specified in the perfSONAR MDM 3.2
> Administrator's Guide on pages 19-28.
>
> So my question is: Why does the AS tell my SQLMA that there is no
> authentication service available, though he gives back to my perfsonarUI
> client by using the "playground page" correct information?

Just to clarify, PerfsonarUI communicates with an identity provider to
authenticate you, not with particular AS service. I understand this
works fine.

If you are able to retrieve information from the MA service without
authentication (via playground or another client), this indeed means
your sqlma service is not configured to use an AS.

Best regards,
Nina