perfsonar-user - Re: Can't contact MA's of CESNET, PIONIER and SWITCH (was Re: Can't get data using perfsonarUI 0.04)

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: Can't contact MA's of CESNET, PIONIER and SWITCH (was Re: Can't get data using perfsonarUI 0.04)

  • From: "Vedrin Jeliazkov" <>
  • To:
  • Cc: <>, GN-JRA1-list <>,
  • Subject: Re: Can't contact MA's of CESNET, PIONIER and SWITCH (was Re: Can't get data using perfsonarUI 0.04)
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:40:45 +0200

Hi Jerome,

Jerome Durand

> I think monitoring services status priority needs to be increased a bit :)

I agree ;-)

> What could be the simplest way to check status of web services? Should
> we simply test HTTP on hosts/ports referenced? If yes, I'm happy to add
> these in our simple argus monitoring tool. (argus.tcp4me.com)

Well, this simple check if the service is listening at the specified port
would be indeed much better than nothing. Another alternative could be to use
NAGIOS and/or SmokePing with appropriate plugins.

On the longer run, I could imagine another perfsonar (monitoring) service,
which might do something like this:

- check in the LS to see what other services have registered (where, when,
what type, with what version/capabilities);
- send a tailored query to each specific service;
- process the response and confirm it is well undersood and corresponds to the
service type/version/capabilities;
- publish a nice web page, showing which services (url, port, type, version,
capabilities, domain, technical contact) are alive;

One could also think of this service as an enhancement of the LS. Any
volunteers to implement this? ;-)

Kind regards,
Vedrin