ntacpeering - Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

  • From: Scott Brim <>
  • To: Michael H Lambert <>
  • Cc: " Routing WG" <>
  • Subject: Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 09:27:23 -0400

I usually don't have much to say here but

You don't know that a traceroute follows the same path as your data
packets in a connectionless environment. It's likely but you don't
_know_ since (1) routing is per-hop and dynamic, (2) some IPSs and even
some routers treat traceroute/ping differently; and (3) it can be
spoofed (one of my favorite April Fools spoofs was by Louis Mamakos,
messing with paths and RTTs).

On the other hand, an openflow path is managed and does not change
except by management (or failure). Instead of trying to trace a path
yourself, use your favorite management interface to ask what path it has
configured, and you can have a high level of confidence in the answer. No?

Scott