ntacpeering - Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

  • From: Darrell Newcomb <>
  • To: Steven Wallace <>, Paul Schopis <>
  • Cc: " Routing WG" <>
  • Subject: Re: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:15:44 -0700

On May 30, 2013, at 7:52 AM, Steven Wallace wrote:

> I would be asking for an app where the engineer can easily say to AL2S
> "what's the path for this flow" and the app responds with the complete path
> as it exists in realtime.

I've had the above application for IP networks for many years on numerous
networks consisting of numerous vendor's gear; that's not a new/unique
capability.

As with many things the adoption hurdles for entire possible
population of users are not small. It's also the case that like all
meta-views there are many discovery/awareness challenges in the
people/applications finding a portal into that information.

A for-instance about that last point is Perfsonar's longevity of
effort having not made much headway in use/adoption of node discovery across
a significant percentage of 'potential' users. That is despite quite a lot
of very reasonable efforts by some contributors that I would say are quite
useful and I appreciate them. But consider how small the percentage of
potential users that is actively using those mechanism; then look at the far
smaller sliver using any sort of novel/efficient-for-users discovery
techniques to aide broader use vs. just find the same nodes they knew
existed(ala White Pages).

---

Then one can consider the entire class of problems where state
inspection is far different than having a vantage point on active forwarding
behavior (Paul's later comment quoted here gets at this same).
On May 30, 2013, at 8:00 AM, Paul Schopis wrote:
> Understood, but there is a subtle difference between the intended path and
> the path taken. It's not like I have ever seen an IP/MPLS/Ethernet packet
> go somewhere unexpected ;-)

To expect the entire class of failures are at all going to be 'less'
frequent of an outcome in devices using SDN seem to be folly. Sure there
will be variation where specific combinations will have temporally better
outcomes than others and even possibly sustained advantages over other
combinations of building-blocks. Just like anything; folks whom make effort
can squeeze out defect rate, but that class of failure absolutely will not
get to zero across a large and diverse population of devices and networks
with any sort of change rate.

Most would probably hazard to estimate this problem area has and will
continue to be greater for quite some time, though I'm of the opinion that
this failure rate won't *need* to remain at a higher than historical norms
for SDN vs. other control systems (the higher level messaging has rarely been
the root-cause for this class of failure).

None of the above should be read to be a detraction from moving onward with
SDN deployment and use, but hopefully helps bring some more grounded points
to this narrow topic and problem-space.