ntacpeering - RE: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

RE: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S

  • From: Paul Schopis <>
  • To: Michael H Lambert <>, " Routing WG" <>
  • Subject: RE: [2013-l3-architecture] FOR DISCUSSION: IP over AL2S
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:53:56 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Ok the Reader's Digest menu response;

1. Destination not reached - Semantics perhaps, does a back hole count as a
path? But point is understood.
2. DC use case - Agreed; having networks move flexibly with migrating VMs,
real good case.
3. Dead Link - Not sure how having a control plane not in the box
understanding not to use a link for the data plane is necessarily superior.
It sort of depends, with crank back their are scenarios where it could, and
others where it won't, i.e. a graph problem is still a graph problem. MPLS
does that as well. Ironically it inherited that from ATM.
4. Substrate comment by Michael - Agreed, it is not very interesting if all
it is used for is IP transport. But not sure I get the comment about
test/diagnostic packets, again I think depends on what it is your trying to
diagnose. Could you elaborate?

Finale thought for today: For me the value of SDN isn't necessarily
abstracting away the control plane, it is the ability to
orchestrate/provision. For technology to succeed, it need to do something
better, faster or cheaper, actually probably two of those.

Well enough philosophy for one day.

Grover, what was it you where seeking in your original question?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Schopis
Chief Technology Officer