ndt-users - Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS

  • From: Matt Selsky <>
  • To: Richard Carlson <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:42:55 -0500

On Jul 19, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Richard Carlson wrote:

OK, that explains why you can't get to the Abilene servers.

I just downloaded the 3.1.4b tarball from the e2epi web page and unpacked the tar ball. I then did the following
rcarlson@nmsy-aami$
cd src
rcarlson@nmsy-aami$
gcc -oweb100clt web100clt.c
rcarlson@nmsy-aami$
./web100clt mirnada.ctd.anl.gov
Error, NDT server name/address not supplied
rcarlson@nmsy-aami$
./web100clt miranda.ctd.anl.gov
Testing network path for configuration and performance problems
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 23.48 Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 71.58 Mb/s
The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 100 Mbps Full duplex Fast Ethernet subnet
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Client IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
rcarlson@nmsy-aami$
uname -a
FreeBSD nmsy-aami.abilene.ucaid.edu 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Wed Oct 26 20:20:34 UTC 2005 root@:/usr/src/sys/i386/ compile/OWAMP-SC05 i386

As you can see, the client built successfully and the test ran correctly.

So the question is, what is different on your host? What OS version are you using? Is there a firewall or other filter in the path? The client uses TCP ports 3001 (control channel), 3002 (client to server test), and 3003 (middlebox and server to client test).

The broken pipe message in your previous email seems to indicate that traffic isn't flowing over port 3002. Can you trace this, say with tcpdump, or look at the system stats (netstat -nat) to see what is going on.

Right now I'm at a loss. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Well, I'm running FreeBSD 4... I don't know if there's a firewall. Can I send you the tcpdump trace offline?

--
Matt