ndt-users - Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:23:58 -0400

Jakub;

At 05:01 AM 7/18/2006,

wrote:
> > > Is there a better version of NDT that I should be using?
> >
> > You can try the newest development version from the mdndt branch:
> >
> > cvs
-d:pserver::/cvsroot/ndt
login
> > cvs -z3
-d:pserver::/cvsroot/ndt
co \
> > -r mdndt ndt
>
> When I try to run "make web100clt" in the src directory after running
> configure, I get:
>
> $ make web100clt
> source='web100clt.c' object='web100clt-web100clt.o' libtool=no
> DEPDIR=.deps depmode=gcc /usr/local/bin/bash ../config/depcomp gcc
> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include/web100
> -I/usr/include/pcap -I../I2util '-DBASEDIR="/usr/local/ndt"' -pedantic
> -Wall -O2 -DNDEBUG -c -o web100clt-web100clt.o `test -f 'web100clt.c' ||
> echo './'`web100clt.c
> web100clt.c:3: getopt.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from testoptions.h:12,
> from web100clt.c:14:
> web100srv.h:17: web100.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from testoptions.h:12,
> from web100clt.c:14:
> web100srv.h:23: getopt.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Previous versions did not require getopt.h Is this a new
> requirement or a bug?

This is probably a bug. You can see, that previous versions also
included getopt.h. I don't have the access to FreeBSD box at the
moment, so I can't do too much about this. I have compiled the NDT
sources on a several different Linux distributions without any
problems. However, I haven't tested it on other OS's.

I agree, this is some kind of bug. The getopt.h file contains the routines needed to parse the command line options. My FreeBSD test machine (5.4-RELEASE) has copies in both /usr/include and /usr/src/include. I'd suggest you run the "find / -name getopt.h -print" command to see where the include file lives. Then patch the web100clt.c file to point to this location.

> I also don't see web100.h included in the CVS checkout. Did I
> miss something?

You have to install the web100_userland. Download the newest sources
from the http://www.web100.org/

The client program (web100clt.c) should not rely on any web100 functions or services. You should be able to simply run a "gcc -oweb100clt web100clt.c" command (linking in any socket libraries) to build the client. The "make web100clt" command should just make this easier.

So the client should not link in the -I/usr/local/include/web100 or
-I/usr/include/pcap libraries.

Rich

> > This is a known bug, which has already been fixed in the mdndt
> > branch. It appeared on a highly congested slow links.
>
> Strange. This box has decent bandwidth at a colo facility. I don't
> think it's highly congested, though I'm not sure.

So it's also possible that this bug also appear on fast links. I
haven't seen it on a 100/1000 Mb networks.

Jakub.

Richard A. Carlson e-mail:

Network Engineer phone: (734) 352-7043
Internet2 fax: (734) 913-4255