ndt-users - Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Runtime error with NDT CVS
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi.

> I'm using NDT from SourceForge's CVS
> (http://ndt.cvs.sourceforge.net/ndt/ndt/src/web100clt.c?view=log) on
> FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE and it fails with the following error:
>
> read failed read 'Go' flag
>
> Here is the debug output:
>
> $ ./web100clt -dddddd miranda.ctd.anl.gov
> Testing network path for configuration and performance problems -- Using
> IPv4 addresses
> read 1 octets '0'
> Test port numbers not received, read 2nd packet to get them
> Testing will begin using port 3003 and 3002
> connecting to 146.137.222.101:3003
>
> Send buffer set to 32768, Receive buffer set to 57344
> Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CWND limited
> speed = Inf Kbps
> Done
> read failed read 'Go' flag

The main branch of the NDT from SourceForge's CVS is incompatible with
the publicly available servers. You should use the Java applet at
http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

> Is there a better version of NDT that I should be using?

You can try the newest development version from the mdndt branch:

cvs
-d:pserver::/cvsroot/ndt
login
cvs -z3
-d:pserver::/cvsroot/ndt
co \
-r mdndt ndt

The publicly available server is located at web100.internet2.edu. You
can also access it by the http interface:
http://web100.internet2.edu:7123/

> I tried the version linked from the E2EPI website (3.1.4b), but that
> fails with an EPIPE error.
>
> $ ./web100clt -dddddd miranda.ctd.anl.gov
> Testing network path for configuration and performance problems
> read 1 octets '0'
> Test port numbers not received, read 2nd packet to get them
> Testing will begin using port 3003 and 3002
>
> Send buffer set to 32768, Receive buffer set to 57344
> Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
> running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . .
> Send buffer set to 32768, Receive buffer set to 57344
> Broken pipe

This is a known bug, which has already been fixed in the mdndt branch.
It appeared on a highly congested slow links.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

I will be grateful for any comments/ideas/suggestions about NDT.

Jakub.