mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 1 to 2 transition

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 1 to 2 transition

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 1 to 2 transition
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 18:49:37 +0200

The problem is that SAML 2 authentication is quite complex. You have to deal with plain old authentication, forced authentication, passive authentication, authentication contexts and declarations, and various other things. Trust me, even if you have to spend the next 6 months learning Spring and XML you'll still be further ahead writing a Shib plugin.

As Jim said, writing them is not that hard. That warning is there, to be honest, so that I can tell people who refuse to do even the slightest bit of work to buzz off.

Alexander Müller wrote:
Well, I have to admit I might have been a bit scared off by the initial

The Shibboleth Identity Provider uses Spring and XML and XML Schema
extensively. Before you begin you must have a basic understanding of these
technologies.

warning at https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/IdPDevCustomExtension.
Primarily because my knowledge of Spring currently tends towards zero.

Hence my assumption is/was that the direct way might be easier at the moment,
considering my previous OpenSAML 1 experience. Also the prototype will work
on a small scale not requiring all the features Shibboleth comes with.

Thanks once more,
Alexander

--
SWITCH