mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 1 to 2 transition

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 1 to 2 transition

  • From: "Alexander Müller" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 1 to 2 transition
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 18:07:47 +0200

>>> On 07.07.2009 at 17:38, in message
>>> <>,
>>> Chad La Joie
> The binding classes are the classes that implement the bindings. I
> don't know what other information to give you. If those don't hook in
> to whatever framework you're going to use to attempt to write an IdP
> then you'll need to write your own binding code.

With OpenSAML 2 I am currently just missing the "obvious" interface between
the HTTP layer (like a HttpServletRequest) and the SAML library.

With OpenSAML 1 it was - admittedly after Scott's help :) - pretty
straightforward. I simply had to call

SAMLBindingFactory.getInstance(SAMLBinding.SOAP).receive()

to get the SAML request and

SAMLBindingFactory.getInstance(SAMLBinding.SOAP).respond()

to send off the response.

> Is there a reason you think you can't write a login handler for Shib?
> The process to do that is far simpler than the process of handling SAML
> 2 authentication.

Well, I have to admit I might have been a bit scared off by the initial

The Shibboleth Identity Provider uses Spring and XML and XML Schema
extensively. Before you begin you must have a basic understanding of these
technologies.

warning at https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/IdPDevCustomExtension.
Primarily because my knowledge of Spring currently tends towards zero.

Hence my assumption is/was that the direct way might be easier at the moment,
considering my previous OpenSAML 1 experience. Also the prototype will work
on a small scale not requiring all the features Shibboleth comes with.

Thanks once more,
Alexander