mace-opensaml-users - Re: More Google Fun

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: More Google Fun

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: More Google Fun
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:07:51 -0400

Scott and I chatted about this today and I think we're on the same page.

The normative SAML 2 spec does say the date/times are supposed to be without a timezone but also requires that it be xsd:dateTime compliant and in the UTC timezone. The XML schema spec contains wording such that without the timezone component the timezone is undefined (and usually, but not always, considered local time).

We both agree that the spirit of the SAML spec, as reflected by the examples given in the spec, really means that the timezone is in UTC, has a timezone to specify that, and does not allow timezone offsets (which is just another way of saying UTC).

So, it is conceivable that the timezone component *could* cause issues with some products but Scott's experience has been that everyone uses the 'Z' timezone component. So I've gone ahead and added that back into the default rendering of the date/times for OpenSAML 2. If it does cause a problem with some product developers can override the behavior via the method:

Configuration.setSAMLDateFormat(String)

Chad La Joie wrote:
Yep, sorry. Was actually looking at two different formatting specs.
The Z, it turns out, isn't supposed to be there. SAML 2 says the time
is not supposed to include the zone component (though SAML 1 did allow
this it isn't required), and 'Z' is just the canonical representation of
the UTC zone.

So the default is: yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSS

Tom Scavo wrote:
On 8/8/07, Chad La Joie
I have centralized the date/time format, however I do not provide a
configuration file option to change it. If you want to change it you
just call

Configuration.setSAMLDateFormat(String)

By default the format is: YYYY-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss.SSS
Should the default be: "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSS'Z'"

?

Tom

--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg