mace-opensaml-users - RE: Starting Point for SAML in Java

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Starting Point for SAML in Java

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Serkan Sunel'" <>, "'William Cai'" <>, "'Richard Gundersen'" <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Starting Point for SAML in Java
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:36:47 -0400

> Surfing in someone's source code is not nice for newbies..

Ever used OpenSSL? We're not unique, I'm afraid.

> We need "step by step & clean" docs...Is it so difficult ?

Actually, yes, it is. It's extremely time consuming, much moreso than
writing the code itself. Since the goal of OpenSAML was to support
Shibboleth, that's always the number one priority. When and if that changes,
or somebody donates a sample, I'll happily include something.

I plan to reserve some space on the Shibboleth wiki for OpenSAML, but until
somebody else is willing to help populate it, it's all threaded through me,
which means you're going to have to wait until I've got time.

The priority for me is also not Java, it's C++. There are many toolkits out
there with better docs in Java. There's not a single alternative to the C++
version, and it has greater need of a programmer's guide and examples
because of issues like memory management.