mace-opensaml-users - RE: contributing to OpenSAML

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: contributing to OpenSAML

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Prakash Yamuna'" <>, "'OpenSAML'" <>
  • Subject: RE: contributing to OpenSAML
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:37:36 -0500

> Is there any way to contribute to OpenSAML?

Yes, preferably after discussing the area of contribution with me first.

As with Apache, nothing can be contributed without assignment of license and
IPR rights to Internet2. For corporate developers, this is something their
employer has to sign, because the work is owned by the employer.

http://www.internet2.edu/resources/i2-contributor-license-1.pdf

The plan is for the next release to be covered by the Apache 2.0 license and
dump the current Apache-like license. That requires (in addition to donation
of copyright) that any contributions made include donation of any patent
licenses held by the contributor with respect to the contribution so that
those rights are transferred to the OpenSAML licensee.

Except for small patches and the like, essentially I can't even look at
anything if that paperwork isn't on file with Internet2. We take the
integrity of the package license and copyright very seriously because many
of us are using Shibboleth and need to insure that it remains open.

The above, of course, applies to Shibboleth as well. If people are working
on SSO-related projects, I would vastly prefer that the collaboration
operate at that level. We don't need dozens of SAML SSO projects built on
the same SAML library when they all have to do the same things anyway.